Transnet ‘cyber assault’: Govt investigating whether it’s part of KZN unrest
Transnet stated whereas it confronted an IT disruption, operations in freight rail, pipelines, engineering and property continued at regular ranges.
- Acting Minister within the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, says authorities is at present investigating whether a widespread expertise outage at Transnet was linked to latest unrest.
- Transnet introduced that its IT system was hit with a “disruption” that halted key operations for the state-owned freight rail and logistics entity on Thursday.
- “Currently we are treating the cyber attack on Transnet as an unrelated event,” Ntshavheni stated.
Acting Minister within the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni says authorities is at present investigating whether a widespread expertise outage at Transnet was part of the latest unrest that hit KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng. Key infrastructure, together with freight corridors, had been attacked throughout the unrest.
“Currently we are treating the cyber attack on Transnet as an unrelated event,” Ntshavheni stated at a briefing on Thursday, acknowledging that authorities doesn’t know but.
Transnet introduced that its IT system was hit with a “disruption” that halted key operations for the state-owned freight rail and logistics entity on Thursday.
Transnet spokesperson Ayanda Shezi informed Fin24 that there was no clear indication of how quickly the utility would have the ability to clear its IT disruption and return to optimum ranges, however that the corporate was investigating the issue.
“[There is] no estimated time yet; [we are] working around the clock to ensure the systems are up and running as soon as possible,” Shezi stated.
Transnet has confronted numerous disruptions to its operations in latest weeks, though it has managed to kind out earlier challenges.
On Wednesday, Transnet stated its KwaZulu-Natal harbours and freight rail community had been working at normalised ranges after clearing the backlog brought on by final week’s unrest.
Before that, it needed to clear its key railway line between Durban and Gauteng after issues with transferring items out of the Durban harbour, gas shortages and highway closures stopped vans from accessing the port.
On Thursday, Transnet stated whereas it was focused by an IT disruption, the group’s operations in freight rail, pipelines, engineering and property continued at regular ranges of exercise.
“Port terminals are operational across the system, with the exception of container terminals at the Navis system on the trucking side [that have] been affected.
“In the Eastern Cape, terminal operations have been halted resulting from inclement climate circumstances and can proceed manually as soon as it’s secure to take action,” the statement said.
Transnet said while the Ports Authority continued to operate with the manual recording of vessels, customers would be updated on progress in addressing the hack and “decreasing downtime”.
Asked about which divisions were the hardest hit, Shezi said: “The principal influence is that operations which can be executed by way of the affected programs are being executed manually”.