Latest News Headlines

#UnrestSA: Not in country’s interest to reveal what intelligence it had – Ntshavheni

10

Looters carry items from the Game Warehouse in Durban.

  • It just isn’t in the country’s interest to reveal what intelligence it had earlier than the unrest’s outbreak, says appearing Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni.
  • This week, two ministers gave differing accounts on whether or not the SSA introduced the police with intelligence.
  • The unrest’s demise toll is now 337.

While the air has nonetheless not been cleared on whether or not the police had obtained prior intelligence of the lethal unrest, appearing Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni mentioned it was not in the country’s greatest interest to disclose what intelligence it had earlier than the upheaval’s outbreak.

Earlier this week, Minister of Police Bheki Cele and Minister of State Security Ayanda Dlodlo contradicted one another on whether or not the State Security Agency (SSA) supplied the police with an intelligence report on the unrest.

Cele rejected Dlodlo’s earlier claims that the SSA gave intelligence studies on the unrest to the police.

READ | Unrest: About 150 000 jobs in danger, govt says

Addressing a gathering of the Joint Standing Committee on Defence and the Portfolio Committee on Police throughout their oversight go to to Chatsworth, Durban on Tuesday, Cele advised MPs he didn’t signal for any intelligence report from the SSA.

“It is you, the minister, who would have given the product to me. The minister of SSA could not give the product direct to the other DG. It would have come to me, and I would have given it to the national commissioner. I want to repeat here that I have never seen that product,” he mentioned.

Dlodlo advised News24 on Tuesday that intelligence merchandise had been all the time shared with related constructions, not individuals.

She mentioned:

Intelligence is shared with the police and different constructions on a regular basis.

On Thursday, world human rights watchdog Amnesty International known as on authorities to reveal what it knew earlier than the unrest broke out.

“With the number of people who died during the looting and violent unrest known to be 276 [on Wednesday], South African authorities must reveal what they knew and when, in the days leading to the violence, which unnecessarily cost people’s lives,” mentioned Shenilla Mohamed, government director of Amnesty International South Africa in an announcement.

She additionally referenced the discrepancy between Cele and Dlodlo’s remarks.

GRAPHIC | #UnrestSA: Counting the price of rioting and looting

“These contradictions by the different ministers show a government in chaos, unable to coordinate security to protect the people. People deserve to know the truth about what happened, and the government has a duty to be honest and ensure prompt, thorough and transparent investigation into the unrest and violence, and ensure accountability,” Mohamed mentioned.

“The government, and the security cluster ministers, need to stop playing the blame game and take full responsibility for these inefficiencies.”

At Thursday’s day by day authorities briefing, Ntshavheni was requested about this.

“I think Amnesty International is going beyond their own scope of work,” Ntshavheni mentioned.

READ | #UnrestSA: King Misuzulu slams looting

She mentioned authorities was reporting the variety of deaths, homicide circumstances and inquest probes.

“So a full investigation is going to be held to ensure that those who are accountable are held liable,” she mentioned.

“It’s not in the best interest of this country to disclose the intelligence information that was at the disposal of the state.

“And Amnesty International should be glad by the truth that everyone who has died, or each harm that has been brought on in this nation will probably be absolutely accounted for and those that have murdered individuals will probably be apprehended and introduced earlier than the regulation in order that they’ll face the implications of their actions, whether or not by planning the unrest, or by killing individuals in the course of the unrest.”

Death toll rises

Meanwhile, the demise toll had risen from Wednesday’s 276 to 337, with 79 deaths in Gauteng and 258 in KwaZulu-Natal.

The demise toll is revised when those that had been injured dies.

In Gauteng, 42 circumstances of homicide had been opened and 171 in KwaZulu-Natal.

Ntshavheni confirmed that corruption-accused former president Jacob Zuma was again behind bars after he was allowed to attend his brother’s funeral earlier on Thursday.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.